[CMake] Recommended Multilib Build Approach?

Gregory Peele ARA/CFD gpeele at ara.com
Thu Jun 21 12:56:03 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I want to be able to build 32-bit and 64-bit from the same GCC multilib install (currently for MinGW-w64, though this also applies for Linux/Mac GCC and LLVM).   To clarify, I want to be able to do two completely separate builds in separate binary dirs - building fat binaries from multiple architectures in the same binary dir is a separate problem I'm also interested in for Android, but I'm not worrying about that yet.

What is the "proper" approach to building the non-default arch in a multilib setup?  Obviously using CMake as-is will build the default arch just fine.

Since my default arch is x86_64, to target i686 I've been manually adding in the -m32 flags to all the appropriate variables, the -F pe-i386 flag for RC_FLAGS, etc. which works for most of the builds I do, but is a fairly tedious and inelegant solution.  I'm also aware I can do it with two different non-multilib compiler installs.  But it seems like there should be an easier direct way to handle this since multilib GCC setups are pretty common these days.

Gregory Peele, Jr.
Staff Software Engineer
Applied Research Associates, Inc.