[CMake] Current binary directory confusion

Robert Dailey rcdailey.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 15:08:31 EDT 2012

${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR} returns a directory that contains generated
files, such as vcproj files when generating for visual studio. However,
actual compiled binaries are placed:

${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/${target_name}.dir/Debug (for debug
configuration)

Is there a variable or target property that will give me the following path
for any target:

${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/${target_name}.dir

(I don't care about debug/release being part of the path, I just want the
"target.dir" part to be included in the path. Right now I'm hard-coding the
".dir" directory and appending it to my path, but I don't know if this
naming scheme is guaranteed by CMake or if it will change in the future.