[CMake] cmake as pkg-config replacement has problems?

Hendrik Sattler post at hendrik-sattler.de
Mon Jun 18 03:27:11 EDT 2012

Am 2012-06-17 14:39, schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> I consider this feature still experimental, it needs users (like you)
> to actually figure out whether it is real-world useful.
>
> Can you open a ticket for this please in the tracker ?

Filed as issue #13311.

IMHO, for a real pkg-config replacement, the following is missing:

1.
a version definition (including >=, <=, etc.)

2.
allowing explicit difference between static and dynamic linking if
available

3.
giving access to the build type (Release, Debug, etc)

I like the package registry although I protected the entry generation
with an option() that defaults to OFF. But how can I make a build tree
be preferred over the installed version? From the cmake command line!

Regards,

HS