[CMake] cpack DEB generator docs

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 02:47:24 EDT 2012

2012/6/18 Doug <douglas.linder at gmail.com>:
> Hm... I can't edit the wiki myself without going through the process of
> getting an account.

Then you should get an account :-)

> Would it be possible to add just a note to this page:
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/CMake:CPackPackageGenerators#DEB_.28UNIX_only.29

I did it at the top:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:CPackPackageGenerators#CPack_Package_Generators

> Some of the supported options are not listed.

As stated in the just-added paragraph. ALL the CPack variables should
now be documented
by the builtin documentation support of CPack 2.8.8 and up.

> These are probably seldom used by most people, but they're actually quite
> important if you're making configuration packages or virtual packages.
> (and they _are_ supported, so there's no reason to scare people off by
> making them think they aren't~)
>
> Already listed:
> CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_ARCHITECTURE
> CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_MAINTAINER
> CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION
> CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_DEPENDS
> CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_RECOMMENDS
> CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_SUGGESTS
> CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_CONTROL_EXTRA
>
> Not listed, but supported in Source/CPack/cmCPackDebGenerator.cxx:

cpack --help-variable-list | grep CPACK_DEBIAN_

will give you the currently builtin-documented variables but...
some variables you listed hereafter are not listed or the documentation
is not as complete as the one you gave.

> CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_HOMEPAGE
> The URL of the web site for this package, preferably (when applicable) the
> site from which the original source can be obtained and any additional
> upstream documentation or information may be found. The content of this
> field is a simple URL without any surrounding characters such as <>.

[...]

The builtin documentation is extracted from CPackDeb.cmake
would you be able to provide a patch for this file:
http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Modules/CPackDeb.cmake;h=fe81dc92c9ee7958e5cbb82d9990e659e8dbf484;hb=HEAD

containing your update?

The CPack builtin doc uses a basic markup which should be easy to understand.

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org