[CMake] CMakeCache.txt, MSVC generator, and automatic re-configuration

Clifford Yapp cliffyapp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 12:29:40 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:

> What version of Visual studio?  And, do you have a small reproducible test
> case for this?

Oops - missed replying to the list.  Visual Studio 2010.  I can try to
create a small test case, but in the mean time we can avoid the issue
by setting CMAKE_SUPPRESS_REGENERATION to ON for Visual Studio
generators only.  As long as Visual Studio can't cleanly handle
re-loading everything quietly after a CMake re-run, there's no point
in allowing regeneration from Visual Studio at all.  Perhaps an
alternative would be to print a warning that the CMakeCache.txt file
looks newer than the generated build system - is there anything in
CMake that can provide that capability?

Thanks,
Cliff