[CMake] Under Visual Studio , allow developers to hit "F7" to run the INSTALL target

david_bjornbak at agilent.com david_bjornbak at agilent.com
Fri Feb 10 01:10:19 EST 2012

I dug into CMake’s C++ code and found there’s a generic setting named EXCLUDE_FROM_ALL that most “targets” use to decide if a project should be under the default build but, there’s particular target type named “GLOBAL_TARGET”  does use this setting and it’s always excluded from all.

Based on what I’m reading in the CMake’s C++, the safest place to make a optional change is right at the point where it’s generating Visual Studio files.  The other logic spot in in a function cmGlobalGenerator::CreateGlobalTarget but, changes here will create a larger ripple effect on what will most likely go wrong with this type of tinkering.

The following is the spot in the code I have in mind changing and picking up both an optional setting and the current “target name” being “INSTALL”

Let me know if there’s a better way to allow Visual Studio developers to hit “F7” and have the “INSTALL” target/vs project run for them.   This current C++ will be a private patch for my team but, I prefer if we can have a more public optional setting for this request.

bool cmGlobalVisualStudio7Generator::IsPartOfDefaultBuild(const char* project,
                                                          cmTarget* target)
{
  if(target->GetPropertyAsBool("EXCLUDE_FROM_DEFAULT_BUILD"))
    {
    return false;
    }
  // if it is a utilitiy target then only make it part of the
  // default build if another target depends on it
  int type = target->GetType();
  if (type == cmTarget::GLOBAL_TARGET)
    {
       return false;
    }
  if(type == cmTarget::UTILITY)
    {
    return this->IsDependedOn(project, target);
    }
  // default is to be part of the build
  return true;
}

The return false after type == cmTarget::GLOBAL_TARGET will become

if ( strcmp(target->GetName(),"INSTALL") == 0  &&  SOME_OPTIONAL_SETTING )
          return true;
       else
                 return false;
    }