[CMake] Clear cache on upgrade?

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Apr 23 14:13:06 EDT 2012

A good rule of thumb is to try just upgrading CMake and running it on
existing build trees. It's obviously quicker than a re-configure from
scratch.

But then, before complaining about something not working, try it in a fresh
build tree first, then if it's still wrong, complain. :-)

It's rare, although it does happen sometimes, that we make a change in
CMake itself that invalidates something that's in an existing cache.

Obviously (or maybe not depending on who you are), some sort of automated
testing, like nightly dashboards, should be doing full re-configures on a
frequent basis anyhow.

HTH,
David