[CMake] Install executables and create links to them

lazylabs at gmail.com lazylabs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 07:57:21 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm using cmake and cpack to build my project and build packages. I'm
creating a few executables in my project, let's call them EXE1 and
EXE2.

When creating different versions of these executables, I want to name
to reflect the version of the executable (let's say EXE1_1.0.0). I can
change the name of the output for a target by doing
set_target_properties.

However, now when doing an install, I want to do create a symlink to
this versioned name of the executable, i.e. I want to have

    the "versioned" executable installed in bin directory, i.e. EXE1_1.0.0
    create a symlink to the "versioned" executable, i.e. create
symlink EXE1, which points to EXE1_1.0.0

Can someone suggest me how to do this?

Second question is: How to install configuration files /etc/MYPROJECT/
directory? What DESTINATION I need to use for configuration files,
like I use bin for executables and lib for libraries? Is using an
absolute path like /etc an acceptable practice with cmake?

Thanks in advance.

-Lazylabs