[CMake] Cannot find appropriate C++ compiler on this system ...

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 04:27:32 EDT 2011

 I am using knoppix and I am trying to build cmake's sources into a
local directory, but this is what I get:
~
$ ./bootstrap; make; make install
CMake 2.8.5, Copyright 2000-2009 Kitware, Inc.
C compiler on this system is: cc
Error when bootstrapping CMake:
Cannot find appropriate C++ compiler on this system.
Please specify one using environment variable CXX.
See cmake_bootstrap.log for compilers attempted.
Log of errors: /media/sda1/prjx/src_kd/cmake/cmake-2.8.5/Bootstrap.cmk/cmake_bootstrap.log
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

~
 I checked the Log of errors file:
~

./bootstrap: line 476: como: command not found
Test failed to compile

~
 and this is the line in bootstrap.sh that is making the build bump
~

  echo "------------------------------------------"
  "${COMPILER}" ${FLAGS} "${TESTFILE}" -o "${TMPFILE}"

~
 However gcc seems to be installed and I did try to set CXX in
different ways to no avail
~

$ which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc

$ gcc --version
gcc (Debian 4.3.4-6) 4.3.4

$ ls -l /usr/bin/gcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Nov  5  2009 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-4.3

~
 non of these worked:
~
$ export CXX=/usr/bin/gcc-4.3