[CMake] CMake 2.8.6-rc3 ready for testing!

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Sep 20 16:14:54 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-20 13:01-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> On 2011-09-20 11:56-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>
>> I don't want to overly dilute what seems to be your really important
>> message that there are serious build problems for cmake-2.8.6-rc3, but
>> if nothing else, your post should galvanize lots of testing of
>> cmake-2.8.6-rc3 which is a "good thing".  When I did such build
>> testing myself, the optimized build of PLplot appears to be OK for
>> cmake-2.8.6-rc3 on at least my platform.
>
> P.S. I should have mentioned that the bug concerned FindThreads.cmake,
> and the PLplot build system does use "find_package(Threads)" for the
> xwin device driver.  So I am a bit surprised I am not seeing the issue
> for an optimized build that includes that device driver.

P.P.S.  Strike that.  I found the issue at PLplot run-time, not build
time for CMake-2.8.6-rc3 (probably because the PLplot library
dynamically loads device drivers such as xwin).  So I strongly second
Orion's call for a fix before 2.8.6 is released.

Here is the evidence:

software at raven> examples/c/x01c -dev xwin
PLplot library version: 5.9.8
examples/c/x01c: symbol lookup error:
/home/software/plplot_svn/HEAD/build_dir/drivers/xwin.so: undefined
symbol: pthread_mutexattr_init

software at raven> ldd -r drivers/xwin.so |grep undefine
undefined symbol: pthread_mutexattr_settype     (drivers/xwin.so)
undefined symbol: pthread_create        (drivers/xwin.so)
undefined symbol: pthread_mutexattr_init        (drivers/xwin.so)
undefined symbol: pthread_cancel        (drivers/xwin.so)
undefined symbol: pthread_join  (drivers/xwin.so)

Thanks, Orion, for catching this problem.  Recently, I have become
quite lazy about testing cmake RC's because normally they just
work.  But cmake-2.8.6-rc3 is definitely an exception to that
rule and a general wakeup call for everyone to thoroughly test
the CMake RC's both at build time _and_ run time.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin