[CMake] CMake 2.8.6-rc3 ready for testing!

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Sep 20 14:56:49 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-20 11:53-0600 Orion Poplawski wrote:

> On 09/20/2011 08:38 AM, David Cole wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Andrea Galeazzi<Galeazzi at korg.it>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Any news about when will it be finalized?
>>>

>> Soon... Stay tuned...
>

> Not before a proper fix for http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=12457 I
> hope.  As it stands, building KDE (and probably lots of other things) with
> 2.8.6 is broken.  We've had to pull the rc builds out of Fedora rawhide.

Hi Orion:

Does "lots of other things" include PLplot (which for the benefit of
others here is one of the packages you maintain for Fedora)? It
appears to me from a quick read of the discussion in bug 12457, that
the predicted broken builds would occur for the optimized build case.
Do I have that right?

Anyway, I tried a build of svn trunk PLplot here (my Debian squeeze
system) (with -DENABLE_ocaml=OFF for other reasons) with

export CFLAGS='-O3 -fvisibility=hidden'
export CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
export FFLAGS=$CFLAGS

and for cmake-2.8.6-rc3 there were no obvious problems with that
build.

I don't want to overly dilute what seems to be your really important
message that there are serious build problems for cmake-2.8.6-rc3, but
if nothing else, your post should galvanize lots of testing of
cmake-2.8.6-rc3 which is a "good thing".  When I did such build
testing myself, the optimized build of PLplot appears to be OK for
cmake-2.8.6-rc3 on at least my platform.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin