[CMake] Xcode IDE hierarchy view on CMake projects

Daniel Dekkers d.dekkers at cthrough.nl
Mon Sep 12 10:46:58 EDT 2011

Hi,

I've managed to get working multi-platform/-architecture meta-builds for Windows, Mac OS X and iOS via CMake.
I get the following hierarchy shown in the XCode (4.0.2) IDE:

'MetaName'
  + Sources
    + ALL_BUILD
    + 'ProjectName_1'
      + Source Files
      + Resources
    + 'ProjectName_2'
      + Source Files
      + Resources
    + 'ProjectName_n'
      + Source Files
      + Resources
  + Resources
  + Products

I don't understand why the top level 'Sources' directory exists. A bit annoying, because it contains other data, like resources and CMake data files.
Furthermore, what is the role of 'Resources' on that same level, project independent resources?

In Visual Studio (2008) the hierarchy looks more logical:

Solution 'MetaName'
+ ALL_BUILD
+ 'ProjectName_1'
+ 'ProjectName_2'
+ 'ProjectName_n'

Is this common Xcode/CMake behavior or am I doing something wrong?

Kind Regards,
Daniel Dekkers