[CMake] cdt4 generator and adding new source files from inside eclipse

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Oct 27 16:08:01 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Alexander Neundorf
<a.neundorf-work at gmx.net> wrote:
>> The cdt4 web page says
>> "When you edit your CMakeLists.txt file, you are recommended to delete
>> your project and reimport it."
>
> Eclipse has a "Refresh" entry in the context menu of the project view, which
> kind of refreshes what it knows about the project.
> But somehow it sometimes doesn't seem to really update what it knows about the
> project from the .project/.cproject files on disk.
> Some things are updated, but some thing it seems are not.
> I didn't yet figure out exactly what's going on.
> If you find out, I think it would be a good idea to file a bug at the eclipse
> and/or cdt project, so that they really update their view of the project from
> the files on disk on refresh.

It looks like going to Window -> Preferences -> General -> Workspace
and ticking "Refresh using blah blah blah" and "Refresh on access"
should get rid of the need to click Refresh.
If that's set, the user should be able to just edit CMakeLists.txt and
rebuild with Eclipse as normal, and it will pick up the project change.

I'll do that, then keep an eye out for problems, and file bugs as appropriate.

Thanks & sorry for all the noise.   It's always hard to get used to a
new IDE...
- Dan

(Automatic refresh is not the default because
for years, there was no efficient way except on Windows to watch a
filesystem for changes, and nobody has added support for it on Linux
or Mac yet.  Sounds like a good freetime project.  Can't solve it fully,
since network filesystems might not play nice, but it ought to be easy to
fix for local ones.)