[CMake] Custom target with just cmake files in it

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 12:29:26 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:50 AM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a folder with a bunch of cmake modules in it that contain my custom
>> CMake code used across all projects.
>>
>> I only generate for visual studio, so I was thinking it would be useful to
>> have a dummy project in my solution named "_cmake" that contains nothing but
>> my *.cmake files in it.
>>
>> How would I create such a project? It needs to show up in ANY solution
>> opened that is generated at any level via call to project().
>>

> If you want it to show up in any sln file generated by any call to the
> project command, then you're going to need to modify CMake source code to
> get that to happen.
>
> Another alternative would be to add a custom target, and specify all your
> cmake files as "SOURCES" to the add_custom_target call. But that will only
> show up in solution files that include the custom target.

How exactly would I make the solution files include the custom target? The
only way I can think of would be to make every single one of my targets have
a dependency on the custom target with my cmake files in it. I could
automate that in my define_project() function that all my targets use, but
that seems more like a hack

What would you suggest?