[CMake] CMake still broken post-2.8.1

Phil Smith phil at voltage.com
Mon Oct 24 16:29:50 EDT 2011

A while ago, when 2.8.2 came out, I installed it and found that it hung processing our CMakeLists.txt. There doesn't seem to be any debugging ability in the code, so we went back to 2.8.1. Today I decided to try the latest & greatest (2.8.6): same result. This seems...bad.

It works fine with 2.8.1; with 2.8.2 and later, it hangs before it even says:
-- The C compiler identification is unknown

With some brutally crude MESSAGE statements, I've determined that it hangs in CMakeDetermineCCompiler.cmake, on the line:
CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ID(C CFLAGS CMakeCCompilerId.c)

But I don't know what that line is doing (I mean, I can guess, but it looks like it's going into some primitive and never coming back).

I don't have Windows debugging tools (or skills). Suggestions?
--
...phsiii

Phil Smith III
phil at voltage.com<mailto:phil at voltage.com>