[CMake] RC compiler on Linux - new problem

pellegrini pellegrini at ill.fr
Fri Oct 21 12:49:44 EDT 2011

Hi all,

after digging and googling some hours I did a first step in the right
direction.

I had to add the command:

enable_language(rc)
set(cmake_rc_compiler_arg1 -cif8)

The resource compiler I (must) use is the one provided by winteracter
Fortran library.

This led me to a serie of problems related to the use of this compiler:
    - it does not accept any output flag so that the output resource
object is always created "in-source" in the rc file directory.
    - on Linux, it produces a .o object file instead of a .res file

Looking at the CMakeRCInformation.cmake I see that by construction CMake
will use the following compile command:
"<CMAKE_RC_COMPILER> <FLAGS> <DEFINES> /fo<OBJECT> <SOURCE>"
with a resource object file with a .res extension.

On a Linux machine, this produces a wrong build command line with the
path for the output object file being "/foCMakeFiles/...". This problem
was raised sometime ago in the mantis bug tracker but unfortunatley the
patch proposed apply for mingw using windres but not for Linux.

Is there a fix for this ?

If no, is there a way to inform the linker that:
    - my resource object file is located "in-source"
    - the extension is not .res but .o

thanks for your help

Eric

--