[CMake] Bug fix requests for the *next* release of CMake...

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Oct 21 12:19:25 EDT 2011

Hi all,

*NO* replies requested. Different technique this time. Please edit the
bug tracker directly. (Unless you have problems with the bug tracker:
if so, please feel free to reply here with your suggestions.)

We are planning for CMake 2.8.7, aiming for a December release. We're
targeting Dec. 28, 2011 for releasing it, and in order to make that
happen we'll have to do an "rc1" by Dec. 7th or so... about 7 weeks
from now.

If you have a particular issue that you think should be fixed for
inclusion in 2.8.7, please put it on the roadmap yourself by the end
of next week, Fri. Oct. 28th. To do so, edit the bug at
http://public.kitware.com/Bug and set the "Target Version" field to
"CMake 2.8.7" - that will make it appear on the roadmap page (
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/roadmap_page.php?version_id=89 ). Also: add a
note saying why it's important to you, or even add a patch that fixes
and documents and tests it if you're able to.

Ideally, each issue will be discussed as needed on the mailing list to
come to any consensus about what should be done to fix it, and then
the entry in the bug tracker may be used to keep it on the radar
screen, and to track activity related to it.

Patches are *always* welcome. Patches that include testing of any new
features, or tests that prove a bug is really fixed on the dashboards
are better: a patch with testing is strongly preferred over a patch
with no testing. Also, if you are *adding* code, then you also
probably need to add *tests* of that code, so that the coverage
percentage stays as is or rises.

Please discuss issues here on the mailing list as needed, and add
notes to existing issues in the bug tracker that you are interested in
seeing fixed for 2.8.7 -- we will be looking at activity both on the
mailing list and in the bug tracker to help prioritize the bug fixes
for the next couple months.

Thanks,
David Cole
Kitware, Inc.

P.S. - as a nice summary of what we accomplished in the CMake 2.8.6
release, including contributions from 27 individuals around the world,
see here: http://public.kitware.com/Bug/changelog_page.php?version_id=87
-- it currently lists 43 issues that we resolved: nice job, everybody!

(Many of those were specifically addressed because somebody brought it
up in response to my similar email from just after 2.8.5... Don't be
shy!)