[CMake] Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2011 Developer Preview cannot open cmake-generated vcproj files

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Oct 18 10:58:13 EDT 2011

On 10/18/2011 2:42 AM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

>> Ideas on how to make this work? Other than ditching this experiment
>> alltogether that is? ;)
>
> Add a VS 2011 generator to CMake which generates the correct solution
> files and post the patch to a corresponding bugreport in the tracker.

Actually, we already have a VS2011 generator.  However, we only tested
it on windows 7 machines.  This is the first time we have ever seen a
difference in OS for the file format of a VS project.  Seems like a
crazy policy from MS.  You might want to report it as a bug.  How would
you work on a non-cmake based project with VS 2011 project files in
version control work.

For CMake it sounds like we need to detect the OS we are running on.
You would need to figure out what the files should look like.  Sounds
like the .NET framework needs to be different and the project version.
It would be great if you could modify a CMake generated project to make
it work.  Even better if you had a patch for CMake to generate the right
files when on Windows 8.

-Bill