[CMake] Shouldn't CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE add <SuppressStartupBanner>false</...> to VS 2010 vcxproj files?

Niels Dekker - address until 2014 niels_dekker_address_until_2014 at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 8 07:04:11 EDT 2011

Update: I locally fixed CMake's support for CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE on
Visual Studio 10 (or higher), and submitted a bug report:

   0012504: Fix CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE for Visual Studio 10 vcxproj files

It seems to me that only a few lines of code in
cmVisualStudioGeneratorOptions::SetVerboseMakefile should be changed. I
hope the fix can be included with the next release.

I wrote on 20 September 2010:
> When I choose Visual Studio 9 (MSVC 2008) as generator, switching on
> CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE causes an extra line in the generated vcproj
> file, saying:
>
> SuppressStartupBanner="FALSE"
>
> However, when I choose Visual Studio 10 (MSVC 2010), switching on
> CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE does not seem to have an effect. Right? I would
> have liked to have the following line added to section <ClCompile> of
> the generated vcxproj file:
>
> <SuppressStartupBanner>false</SuppressStartupBanner>
>
> Doing so would trigger the compiler to print its commandline arguments
> onto the output stream or output window, while it is compiling. Which I
> find pretty helpful!

Note that the fix I'm proposing now at
public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=12504 generates:

   <SuppressStartupBanner></SuppressStartupBanner>

This fix does *not* trigger those annoying "D9035" compiler warnings
("option 'nologo-' has been deprecated").  :-)

Kind regards,

  Niels
--
Niels Dekker