[CMake] Version 2.8.6 Issues with Cmake-Gui and CTest

Sheri silvermoonwoman at comcast.net
Thu Oct 6 17:35:47 EDT 2011

On 10/6/2011 12:30 PM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> On 10/6/2011 11:50 AM, Sheri wrote:
>> I was previously using 2.8.0.
>>
>> With 2.8.6 (from zipped binaries for win32-x86) I immediately noticed a
>> couple oddities:
>>
>> My Wacom mouse can't seem to activate any controls on Cmake-Gui. It
>> still works fine with 2.8.0.
> Do other mice work?  I can't see how there could be a mouse specific
> HW issue in cmake-gui, it is just a  Qt app.  Might be the version of
> Qt we are using....
yes, a wired Logitech mouse works. But my normal mouse is currently the
Wacom one.

It is apparently an ongoing qt bug since 2010.
<https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com//browse/QTBUG-6127>

My earlier Cmake version 2.8.0 was from 2009. I don't suppose I could
copy the old cmake-gui.exe into the new folder?

>> When the new version of CTest runs, my firewall reports it is trying to
>> connect to the internet.
>
> What ctest command are you running?
e.g., "make test"

Things are getting worse.

My project won't configure properly to build on MSVC8.

I recently coded some testing changes for PCRE's CmakeLists.txt file,
which included raising the minimum version policy to 2.8.0. Everything
works configuring, building and testing in Msys (2.8.0 and 2.8.6) but
not for MSVC8. The only reason I was trying the latest version is that
if my changes are published it will necessitate users updating CMake; so
I just thought I should test it with the latest release.

With 2.8.6, when I first open cmake-gui, select the PCRE source folder,
enter a new build folder name, and click Configure it  gives a bunch of
"Failed to open" and "Permission denied", errors e.g.:
---------------
CMake Error at
C:/cmake/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CheckFunctionExists.cmake:47 (TRY_COMPILE):
   Failed to open

C:/pcre-8.20/pcre-8.20-RC2/VC_NewConfig286_2/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeLists.txt

   Permission denied
Call Stack (most recent call first):
   CMakeLists.txt:86 (CHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS)
---------------

After that if I choose my options, then Configure again, it says its
checking long long and other types. Seems ok. But if I then Generate and
try to build in native compiler MSVC8, during the build I get a compile
errors, e.g.:

..\pcrecpp.cc(828) : fatal error C1189: #error :  parse_longlong_radix:
cannot convert input to a long-long

I don't believe this has anything to do with my changes, but I will try
configuring using unmodified CmakeLists.txt file in 2.8.6 and see if the
project builds as it did in 2.8.0 and a variety of earlier cmake versions.

My system is slow, so it is painful to need to keep rebuilding.

Regards,
Sheri