[CMake] parallel build using "cmake --build"?

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Sun Nov 27 11:21:00 EST 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:46:10AM -0500, John Drescher wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Steve M. Robbins <steve at sumost.ca> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > To build VTK on our windows build server, I wrote a small batch script
> > that invokes "cmake --build".
> >
> > My developer machine is multicore; is there a way to get "cmake --build"
> > to run multiple jobs?
> >

> On windows, I use the following tool
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/runjobs.aspx
>
> to build each configuration (Debug, Release, RelWithDebInfo ...) in
> parallel using separate calls to cmake --build.

Thanks -- that's great tip.

In my present case, however, I'm building just the Release
configuration and was hoping to parallelize that with the equivalent
of "make -jN".

To Michael Hertling's comment:

> "cmake --build" is just a front-end for the native build tool CMake
> generates input for. If this tool can be invoked via the command
> line with options for parallel building, you can provide them after
> the "--" in the "cmake --build" command, e.g. "cmake --build
> <bindir> -- -j 4" for parallel building with Makefiles.

I would do this if I were using makefiles.  In the present case, I'm
using Microsoft VS2010.  I was kind of hoping that "cmake" had
abstracted the parallelism so that I could stay ignorant of the Visual
Studio command line details and possibly in future write build scripts
that are cross-platform.

Thanks,
-Steve