[CMake] Adding a new language

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Nov 17 10:20:29 EST 2011

On 11/16/2011 4:03 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> Hi Bill:
>
> Your summary shows you misunderstood what I said so I have to correct
> that. The basic issue I have with your interpretation is "additional
> generic language support" != "Creating a generic way to add new
> languages"

OK, let me try again.   Adding any new feature to CMake, that will work
on all platforms is a pretty huge task, and will require some serious
funding, or someone with lots of free time and skill.  I do not see any
low hanging fruit or easy to do things in what you are asking for.
Perhaps other developers will.  The Fortran support was funded by a
group at Sandia labs, and was implemented over many months of effort.
It is also a slighty different beast as the IDE's like VS can have
Fortran support.  So, coming up with a makefile only solution can work
with the IDE as well.  ADA and OCaml do not have the same IDE support.

-Bill