[CMake] Adding a new language

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Nov 15 22:13:11 EST 2011

>> I'd still like to know how to explain to cmake that the command produces
>> 2 files, but at least I can get rid of my hack.
> That (assuming just a simple object file is produced by compilation)
> is one of several general limitations with CMake language support. For
> example, my understanding is this issue has been taken care of for
> Fortran 95 (where compilation produces both object and module files)
> with Fortran-95 specific changes to the C++ cmake code.  But I would far
> prefer to see a generic mechanism for this to not only to deal with
> the Fortran 95 module issue, but also the compilation-generated Ada
> library identification (*.ali) files, and also the similar issue for
> OCaml compiler generated files that you have described.

Hmm...

> Because of this and other struggles I had trying to implement Ada
> language support for CMake, I didn't even consider implementing CMake
> language support for OCaml for the PLplot OCaml bindings.  Instead we
> currently use (many!) custom commands and targets for that case, but
> I would be happy to change to your CMake OCaml language support
> if/when that works.

I'm trying to use CMake for a new project here.  This project (a new
programming language, whose first implementation is in OCaml) is
currently in the very first stages (I have barely more than the lexer
written) and doesn't require anything sophisticated (there's only
1 OCaml file for now ;-).  So my "language support" is very primitive
and rather than fight CMake, I'll probably just switch to something
else :-(

        Stefan