[CMake] Using CTest with a different dashboard

EXT-York, Gantry gantry.york at boeing.com
Wed Nov 9 12:06:40 EST 2011

I'm looking for suggestions from someone who has used CTest to report results to a dashboard other than CDash.

I'd like to be able to simply type

gmake test TESTOPTS="-report"

then have CTest traverse all the directories and run the defined tests.  Not only would I like it to run these tests, but I'd like it to run it through a wrapper script that I use to report the results to a different dashboard.

I've tried this with

set( TEST_WRAPPER /full/path/to/test_wrapper )
add_test( unit_test1 )                                                                                  # syntax 1
add_test( /full/path/to/test_wrapper --report unit_test2 )        # syntax 2
add_test( ${TEST_WRAPPER} ${TESTOPTS} unit_test3 )                # syntax 3

There are several problems I've noticed with this:

Syntax 1 works fine.  It knows where the name unit_test1 is located and runs, but since it isn't run through the wrapper script, nothing is reported to our dashboard.

Syntax 2 works does not work.  All the arguments are quoted.  "-report" fails as an option because of the quotes, and "unit_test2" is treated as a string not as a name of a CMake object with a location.

Syntax 3 is just a variation of syntax 2 and also fails, but it is preferable to define the wrapper script in the highest level CMakeLists.txt file and have that value carried through to sub directories.

So I tried this

set( TEST_WRAPPER /full/path/to/test_wrapper_report )
add_test( ${TEST_WRAPPER_REPORT} "${CURRENT_DIR}/ unit_test4" )                # syntax 4

I modified the test wrapper to report without having to specify the -report option.

In this case, everything seemed to work, but the return/exit value coming back from the wrapper script was wrong.  It seems that something is going on in the CTest framework that changes this value.  Instead of getting a value like -1, 0, 1, I was getting a value like 32844.  I verified that unit_test4 returned the correct return status to the wrapper script and the wrapper script returned the correct return status when run outside of the CTest framework.

If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Gantry York
Boeing/KinetX
Iridium SCS Development Team