[CMake] CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_FILE for debian

Erik Hofman erik at ehofman.com
Wed Nov 2 04:56:20 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 11:47 +0100, Eric Noulard wrote:
> I'll review it and probably merge it soon, since this looks reasonable.
> Note however that with CPackRPM you have both
>
> CPACK_RPM_PACKAGE_SUMMARY
> and
> CPACK_RPM_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION
>
> whereas for DEB you don't have summary, just:
> CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION
>
> thus the difference
>
> > It would be nice if this is the default behavior for all backends.
>
> We would have to review other CPack generators behavior w.r.t.
> CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_SUMMARY
> CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_FILE
>
> as you can see with RPM and Deb some may use both for the same meaning
> some really wants separate usage.

I seems even more complicated, according to the wikie there is:
CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_SUMMARY	* Package short description

CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION
* Package long description

But the DEBIAN backend uses CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_SUMMARY for the
long description.

I was going to take a look at it but now I'm afraid there is no
consistent way to handle this without braking backwards compatibility.

What I was aiming for was:
CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_SUMMARY	* Package short description

CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION
* Package long description

CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_FILE
* file containing the package long description

if PACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION was not set but
CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_FILE was then do:

file(READ ${CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_FILE} CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION)

But as I said, that would break backward compatibility (change in
behavior).

Erik