[CMake] FIND_LIBRARY and PATH_SUFFIXES: documentation or implementation bug

Marcel Loose loose at astron.nl
Thu Mar 24 05:55:14 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I stumbled upon this issue, while trying to track down why
FindPythonLibs finds the static library libpython2.6.a
in /usr/lib64/python2.6/config, instead of the shared library
libpython2.6.so in /usr/lib64 on my system.

The find module uses PATH_SUFFIXES python${_CURRENT_VERSION}/config,
which in my case expands to python2.6/config. The documentation of
find_library() reads:

        PATH_SUFFIXES specifies additional subdirectories to check below
        each search path

Additional(!) subdirectories. However, if I do an strace I notice that
*only* the directories with the path suffixes are searched, not the
directories in the search path *without* the suffixes.

Is this a bug in the documentation or a bug in the implementation of
CMake?

Best regards,
Marcel Loose.

--
Marcel Loose
Senior Software Engineer, Computing Group R&D, Astron, the Netherlands