[CMake] File remove_recurse doesn't on OSX

Belcourt, Kenneth kbelco at sandia.gov
Wed Mar 16 13:57:08 EDT 2011

On Mar 16, 2011, at 11:46 AM, David Cole wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Belcourt, Kenneth
> <kbelco at sandia.gov> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A quick bug report with CMake 2.8.4 on OSX 10.5.8 built with Intel
>> 11.0.064.
>>  This command works fine
>>
>> file(REMOVE ${Bwr_Files})
>>
>> while this one fails.
>>
>> file(REMOVE_RECURSE ${Bwr_Files})
>>
>> And by fails I mean it doesn't remove any files at all, much less
>> recursively.  This should be easy to reproduce, do I need to file a
>> bug or
>> can this get fixed for 2.8.5?
>>
>> -- Noel

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

> What is the value of "${Bwr_Files}"?

A list of both file and directory names.

> The arguments to file(REMOVE_RECURSE are intended to be directory
> names. Are they?

One of the names is a directory, the rest are files.

set(Bwr_Files
   ${Bwr_Dir}/acoeff.txt
   ${Bwr_Dir}/BWRG_v2-0.DIA
   ${Bwr_Dir}/BWRG_v2-0.OUT
   ${Bwr_Dir}/BWR_OUT.HTM
   ${Bwr_Dir}/BWR_v2-0.DIA
   ${Bwr_Dir}/BWR_v2-0.MES
   ${Bwr_Dir}/BWR_v2-0.OUT
   ${Bwr_Dir}/BWR_v2-0.PTF
   ${Bwr_Dir}/BWR_v2-0.RST
   ${Bwr_Dir}/extDIAG_v2-0
   ${Bwr_Dir}/fort.32
   ${Bwr_Dir}/fort.36
   ${Bwr_Dir}/HTML
   ${Bwr_Dir}/MELGIN_v2-0.CAN
   ${Bwr_Dir}/NodeDiagram.html
   ${Bwr_Dir}/tmpry
)

The funny thing is remove_recurse works as expected on Linux, it
removes the files and recursively removes the directories.  On the Mac
remove_recurse does nothing at all but file(remove ...) on the Mac
works as expected, it just leaves the directories alone.

> Is the Mac file system in question case-sensitive, or
> case-insensitive? (By default, most Macs are case-insensitive... and

and case-preserving.  Yes, this particular disk is the default.

Tiger OS X:
   Capacity:	185.64 GB
   Available:	96.41 GB
   Writable:	Yes
   File System:	Journaled HFS+
   BSD Name:	disk1s2
   Mount Point:	/Volumes/Tiger OS X

> we've had other reports of file weirdnesses on
> case-sensitive-file-system-based Macs -- we do not have one of these
> presently here at Kitware, so it's hard for us to repro any such bugs
> to figure out if there is a good fix or not. Suggestions welcome.)

What command is run on the Mac, any easy way to find out?  The
file(remove ...) works okay, I'd have guessed that
file(remove_recurse ...) just adds the -r option to the rm -f command.

-- Noel