[CMake] Cmake with Cray Fortran

Tim Gallagher tim.gallagher at gatech.edu
Fri Mar 4 20:05:59 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to use cmake with the Cray Fortran compiler. The compiler is wrapped through a script called ftn.

When I have the PrgEnv-pgi (pgi compiler) or the PrgEnv-gnu modules loaded, it works with no issue.

But, when I have it set to PrgEnv-cray, it doesn't work.

I manually compiled the CMakeFortranCompilerId.F file and it compiles just fine. But, there's not any ifdef's inside it for the Cray compiler. My guess is this is the problem?

I've seen a few emails from last year about this issue, but that was for cross-compiling. This is not to cross compile -- this is on the Cray XE6 with CNL, so the compute nodes and head nodes are the same. Regardless, this is for something that runs on the head node anyway.

The output from cmake is at the end of the email. I'm using Version 2.8.3-rc3.

Thanks,

Tim

CMake Error at /work/local/usp/cseb_cse/CSE.121510/Release/cmake-2.8.3/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestFortranCompiler.cmake:40 (MESSAGE):
   The Fortran compiler "/opt/cray/xt-asyncpe/4.5/bin/ftn" is not able to
   compile a simple test program.

   It fails with the following output:

    Change Dir: /u/tgallagh/BoundaryConditions/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

   Run Build Command:/usr/bin/gmake "cmTryCompileExec/fast"

  /usr/bin/gmake -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make
   CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build

   gmake[1]: Entering directory
   `/work/local/u/tgallagh/BoundaryConditions/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

   /work/local/usp/cseb_cse/CSE.121510/Release/cmake-2.8.3/bin/cmake -E
   cmake_progress_report
   /u/tgallagh/BoundaryConditions/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles 1

   Building Fortran object

  CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testFortranCompiler.f.o

   /opt/cray/xt-asyncpe/4.5/bin/ftn -o
   CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testFortranCompiler.f.o -c
   /u/tgallagh/BoundaryConditions/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testFortranCompiler.f

   Linking Fortran executable cmTryCompileExec

   /work/local/usp/cseb_cse/CSE.121510/Release/cmake-2.8.3/bin/cmake -E
   cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/link.txt --verbose=1

  /opt/cray/xt-asyncpe/4.5/bin/ftn
   CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testFortranCompiler.f.o -o cmTryCompileExec
   -rdynamic

   ftn-2191 crayftn: ERROR in command line

     "ynamic" is an invalid argument to the "-r" option.

   ftn-2191 crayftn: ERROR in command line

     "namic" is an invalid argument to the "-r" option.

  gmake[1]: *** [cmTryCompileExec] Error 1

   gmake[1]: Leaving directory
   `/work/local/u/tgallagh/BoundaryConditions/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

   gmake: *** [cmTryCompileExec/fast] Error 2