[CMake] Parallel make & custom command

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Thu Jun 30 16:15:14 EDT 2011

On Wednesday 29 June 2011, Marcel Loose wrote:
> After I had posted my question I realized that this issue has come up
> quite recently on the mailing list in a thread that I started -- see
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cmake@cmake.org/msg36362.html. Although the
> original question was related to building mulitple targets in parallel,
> Michael Hertling showed that CMake inherently has problems with parallel
> builds when custom targets/commands come into play.

Really ?
We use a lot of custom commands in KDE, all the time, everywhere, and people
build KDE on big build clusters, i.e. very parallel, without problems.

Maybe there are problems when multiple targets depend on the same generated
file, but I think the "cmake inherently has problems with parallel builds when
custom targets/commands come into play." is wrong in this very generic way.

Alex