[CMake] Dependencies and libraries..How does it work?

David Springate david.springate at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 17:54:38 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am new to CMake - and whilst I am immediately impressed with it's relative
ease of use - I have a 'noob' question, I'm sure!

I have the following:
A library called MY_LIB that builds with a cmake command (I have created a
nice CMakeLists.txt file)
An application called MY_APP that builds a nice application - and even links
in MY_LIB using:
link_directories("../MY_LIB")
target_link_libraries(MY_APP MY_LIB)

Now, first of all I know that I'm not supposed to use relative paths.. but
we'll call a side issue.. (though I'd be happy to hear the correct way of
doing things!) - the real problem that I have is this:

Give than MY_LIB is built using CMake and MY_APP is built using CMake.. how
can I setup my build scripts so that I can call CMake once for MY_APP, it'll
realise that it needs MY_LIB, which hasn't yet been built, invoke CMake for
MY_LIB and then link itself with MY_APP?

I ask because I use libraries heavily to organise my code (and reuse) and
would love to switch to CMake for all my building (XCode 4 has forced my
hand!) but I can't seem to figure this out.

Please help a newcomer out - any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

David