[CMake] cmake on MS Windows with GNU make ignores number of jobs

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Jul 12 13:55:22 EDT 2011

On 7/12/2011 11:39 AM, Florian Reinhard wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Problem:
> * GNU make doesn't make use of "number of jobs" (-j)
>
> Setup:
> * windows 7 x64
> * cmake 2.8.4
> * GNU make 3.81 (gnuwin32)
> * custom toolchain  (Texas Instruments cl6x)
>
> I tried the following generators:
> * MinGW Makefiles
> * Unix Makefiles
>
> Does parallel compiling not work in general or is there something
> wrong with my setup?

This is an issue with gmake.  I did see a patch that fixed this for the
windows build of gmake on the win32-gmake mailing list but I don't know
how far it has gotten.  Here is a link to the thread:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.make.windows/3223

I am using the cygwin gmake with a patch that makes it work with windows
style paths.

Can be found here:
http://www.cmake.org/files/cygwin/make.exe-cygwin1.7

-Bill