[CMake] CMake 2.8.7-rc2 ready for testing!

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Dec 29 21:15:12 EST 2011

On 2011-12-29 18:34-0500 David Cole wrote:

> I've considered your plea, but after looking at the diffs between 2.8.5 and 2.8.7-rc2, I think we ought to keep what we have and
> continue moving forward with it.
>
> The commits involved are easily seen with these git commands:
>
> $ gitk v2.8.5..a1c9de56 -- Modules/FindLAPACK.cmake Modules/FindBLAS.cmake
>
> $ git log --oneline v2.8.5..a1c9de56 -- Modules/FindLAPACK.cmake Modules/FindBLAS.cmake
>
> b3c42cb FindLAPACK: List thread libs to avoid link errors (#12625)
> f603cf2 FindLAPACK: Correct CMAKE_FIND_LIBRARY_SUFFIXES spelling (#12624)
> f44f053 FindLAPACK: Fix linking to static LAPACK on Unix (#12477)
> 0cc8f05 FindBLAS/LAPACK fixes
> 145de0a FindBLAS/LAPACK fixes
> cfad24a fixed: search of ATLAS library for C/C++-only projects
> d5e6030 ACML-GPU supportede
> af4c58b ACML-GPU supported
> 91b76e2 gotoblas supported
> 66a4bd0 fixed: search of acml libraries
>
> I think the fixes that these commits represent outweigh the issue you've raised here late in the game. Especially since 7 of those
> commits are already in the 2.8.6 release.

Hi Dave:

I was surprised you didn't take the conservative course here since
that is the CMake tradition for dealing with regressions, and the find
modules for lapack/blas are dealing with a particularly complicated
lapack/blas ecosystem where it is easy for these find modules to go wrong
for some platforms.  However, I also recognize that this is your
judgement call to make, and I do hope that you are correct that the
benefit of these post-2.8.5 changes is really worth the cost of the
lapack/blas library inconsistency regression that was introduced by
the changes.

I will try to come up with a fix for the regression early in the next
release cycle and run it by the lapack/blas find module maintainer,
Alexey Ozeritsky.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin