[CMake] Documentation request

Tim Gallagher tim.gallagher at gatech.edu
Wed Dec 21 11:32:41 EST 2011

I like the idea of putting "new in #.#.#" when features are added, that would at least be an easy reminder on the documentation page that some things are not universal to 2.8.*.

I also agree that it's not super clear that back documentation is available on the wiki. If you look at the documentation page, it says things like "Documentation for CMake 2.8", "Documentation for CMake 2.6" and then at the bottom under "Legacy Documentation for CMake" there is a section for CMake 2.4.

To me that implies that

A) documentation holds for all versions of 2.8.* or 2.6.* or 2.4.*;
B) there is only documentation for those versions and the wiki would hold other types of information (and if you just go to the main page of the wiki, there is no indication that old versions are documented, I had to search to find it).

So, I understand all to well how time consuming writing documentation is. And if space is an issue, how about the following:

A) Rename the links on the documentation page so that it says it is for the current version, so it would say "Documentation for CMake 2.8.7" when the next is released.
B) Under "Legacy Documentation", put a link to the CMake_Released_Versions page on the wiki to point people to that documentation.

Does that sounds like a reasonable compromise? We've run into this frequently enough that I thought I'd bring it up, but as I said before, if we're the only ones who keep making these mistakes, then we can deal with it internally.

Tim