[CMake] Documentation request

Tim Gallagher tim.gallagher at gatech.edu
Tue Dec 20 20:24:20 EST 2011

Hi,

I don't know if this will get done, but is it possible for future releases of CMake to change the name on the website for the documentation? For example, if you just looked at the URL:

http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html

and you didn't look at the header (which happens a lot if you come to this via Google or something and jump directly to it), you would assume the function documented there would work for 2.8.*.

But, that certainly isn't true. We've hit a lot of things that exist in 2.8.4 or .5 and not 2.8.3. To make things more complicated, on the HPC sites we run on, we have versions 2.8.3 (some full release, other's RC's), 2.8.4, 2.8.5, and 2.8.6. So the stuff we write on one machine doesn't always work on the rest because we unknowingly use a function that doesn't exist in previous versions.

Can the URL be changed to something like:

http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-7docs.html

and the previous versions kept up at least for a little while? Maybe have 3 versions on the site at a time, appropriately named, so it isn't as confusing (and frustrating) to keep running into missing features?

Anybody else come across this problem, or are we just not good at paying attention?

Thanks!

Tim