[CMake] New type of cache variable: lists

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 20:27:47 EST 2011

Thanks, glad you like the idea.

I've seen the word "choice" used in many scenarios where the user is given
a list to pick from, so it seemed like an appropriate name.

You also make a great point about someone already using the word "choice"
globally. However, keep in mind it is the integrity of the language we are
talking about here. This decision will forever be locked into CMake, so the
name you choose must be appropriate and self-documenting. Granted it will
be unfortunate that "choice" will possibly cause conflicts with user code,
but the design of the CMake language takes precedence IMHO.

For the limited scope of projects this would affect, I would have CMake
post a conflict warning that detects when the user has defined a
conflicting global variable named "choice" and post a warning or error in
the output. After a few minor versions, you can remove this check, but it
will at least make it very clear to the users that they simply need to go
in and rename their variables, functions, or macros. Just some food for
thought. I'd much rather take this approach than be forced to give this new
feature an ugly name. I honestly think "choice" is the best name, I can't
think of a better one.

Think about it and let me know what you decide. I don't know much about
these CMake-language functions you speak of, but it would be interesting to
learn about them. Are they covered in detail in the reference
documentation, or the wiki?

---------
Robert Dailey