[CMake] hear hear

Daniel Dekkers d.dekkers at cthrough.nl
Tue Dec 6 11:27:47 EST 2011

On Dec 4, 2011, at 11:59 AM, Michael Jackson wrote:
> I think if the CMake community took a vote we could probably come up with an "Exemplar" Find*.cmake file that is good for someone trying to develop a new one.

Yes please.
And I think in general that is true. Of course it is more interesting and often more urgent to spend time on "exotic" problems. But there are these basics that are missing in the documentation.
Like,.. this works in 99% of the cases, we, CMake, advise you to do this. If you don't, you are making life hard on yourself and you are more or less on your own.
Something like:
1) a single executable
2) a single executable linked to a lib built from source
3) different executables using the same lib built from source
4) a single executable linked to a binary lib (with the aid of a find module)
n) multiple executables linked to multiple libraries (linked to third-party libraries), some static, some dynamic, some with their own CMake builds, some without, on different platforms. Auch.
n+1) making anything work with Xcode

"Buy the book" is a good response of course. But people don't do that, until 3 months later.

Thanks,
Daniel