[CMake] ExternalProject and another CMake based project.

Peter Visser pervulgo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:40:08 EST 2011

Hello all,

I would like to use the ExternalProject_Add command in one CMake project
to include another CMake based project. Basically this works great, the
project is downloaded, configured, build, tested and installed. (Great
command, the ExternalProject!)

The libraries of the included project contain version numbers, so I have
used the install(export) to generate a <project>.cmake file that can be
included in the "top" CMake project. The problem is that the
<project>.cmake is not available at CMake time. Is there a work-around
so that I don't need to hardcode all the libraries and versions numbers
in the "top" CMake project ?

I looked in the mailinglists and found that Mike Jackson asked the same
question (03/24/2010). In the mean time there are perhaps new features
in CMake or somebody created a smart work-around ?

Peter.