[CMake] CMake installation on Mac - compilers not found

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Wed Apr 27 08:29:11 EDT 2011

Did you install the Xcode developer tools?

-----
Mike Jackson                     www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio
Sent from my mobile device.

On Apr 27, 2011, at 5:05, Renan Mendes <renanmzmendes at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, everyone.

This is my first email to this group (and I fear it has not started so
well...). Before deciding to send it I've searched for a while on the web
not finding anything that would really solve my issue. Please, bear with me
while I try to describe my actions and the errors messages I got.

First, I have tried downloading the mac installer (
cmake-2.8.4-Darwin-universal.dmg<http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/cmake-2.8.4-Darwin-universal.dmg>).
It appeared to be going very well, until it got to the part of running some
scripts. The CMake icon on the dock started jumping restlessly and nothing
seemed to happen. I had to kill the process manually. I've tried this
several times, and then I've decided to download the second option that
wouldn't make me compile everything myself. I've tried then with
cmake-2.8.4-Darwin-universal.tar.gz<http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/cmake-2.8.4-Darwin-universal.tar.gz>
.
Opening CMake 2.8-4.app turned out to be useless. Nothing happened but the
usual up-and-down movement of the dock icon.

Finally, I've succumbed to trying to compile the whole thing myself. I have
then downloaded
cmake-2.8.4.tar.gz<http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/cmake-2.8.4.tar.gz>
and,
following the instructions on http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/install.html I
have executed bootstrap. Well, of course, it failed too. But now I could see
why: the terminal wasn't recognizing the gcc command. Searching a little for
that on the web, I found out I was missing a path on my .bash_profile file.
Surprisingly, I did not have one. I created it and included the path to
where lied gcc et al.

The command itself was working perfectly. But it was not enough for CMake's
bootstrap, for when opening the error log, I've encountered what you'll find
attached. I don't seem to have *anything* I need to make this work (even
some libraries that the bootstrap relies on). It's been only one month that
I have this MacBook Pro. I never formatted it or anything, so everything
that comes with it, should be there.

If someone has been through the same ordeal or knows how to solve it, I'd
appreciate very much your insight.

Thank you,

Renan MENDES

 <cmake_bootstrap.log>