[CMake] Changing compiler

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 07:47:02 EDT 2011

> Sounds like you must have gotten errors when you built gcc...
>
> Pore through the log of what happened during the gcc build maybe?
>
> Are you building gcc from source, or using some package manager to build it
> for you? (MacPorts, something else?)

FYI - there was no problem all along with the build (see paragraph below):

> The executable 'gcc' never exists in the build directory even if the build
> is successful. It is called 'xgcc'. 'xgcc' will finally be renamed to 'gcc'
> as part of 'make install'. The reason for this naming convention is listed
> in the source file gcc/Makefile.in:
>
> # We call this executable `xgcc' rather than `gcc'
> # to avoid confusion if the current directory is in the path
> # and CC is `gcc'.  It is renamed to `gcc' when it is installed.
>
> BR,
> Andi

However, I'm still having trouble using it to build ITK. I tried two things:

1) I run
ccmake ~/src/ITK

Then before I configure, I change the CMAKE_C/CXX_COMPILER variables. Then
when I configure I get:

 You have changed variables that require your cache to be deleted.
 Configure will be re-run and you may have to reset some variables.
 The following variables have changed:
 CMAKE_C_COMPILER= /home/doriad/bin/gcc/gcc/xgcc
 CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER= /home/doriad/bin/gcc/gcc/g++

 CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:52
 (MESSAGE):
   The C compiler "/home/doriad/bin/gcc/gcc/xgcc" is not able to compile a
   simple test program.

   It fails with the following output:

    Change Dir: /home/doriad/bin/ITK_newgcc/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

2) I run:
ccmake ../../src/ITK -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/home/doriad/bin/gcc/gcc/g++
-DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=/home/doriad/bin/gcc/gcc/xgcc

 CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:52
 (MESSAGE):
   The C compiler "/home/doriad/bin/gcc/gcc/xgcc" is not able to compile a
   simple test program.

   It fails with the following output:

    Change Dir: /home/doriad/bin/ITK_newgcc/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

   Run Build Command:/usr/bin/gmake "cmTryCompileExec/fast"

   /usr/bin/gmake -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make
   CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build

   gmake[1]: Entering directory
   `/home/doriad/bin/ITK_newgcc/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David