[CMake] Properly Detecting Win64 - [Semi Off Topic Reply]

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Wed Apr 20 12:58:05 EDT 2011

Hey Dave,
  So here are some timings for running CMake to the point where I can actually build my project. THe hardware is an Mac Pro 8 Core (16 Thread) 2.6GHz OS X 10.6.6 box also running Windows 7 x64. On OS X I use Makefiles in combination with Eclipse as the IDE so I generate straight Makefiles. On this system my project takes 10 seconds to configure to a point where it is ready to compile. On Windows using Visual Studio 9 2008 x64 as the generator this takes 58 seconds. When you are heavy into development where the CMake files are changing a bunch and there are lots and lots of runs of CMake then yes I thought I was taking a shortcut. Unfortunately this shortcut proved to have very bad side effects and now I don't do it any more. But still, 10 seconds versus 60 Seconds can be a frustrating difference when deadlines are looming and you are needing to go faster.

--
Mike Jackson <www.bluequartz.net>