[CMake] sequence of cmake external project

Yu, Daphne (SCR US) daphne.yu at siemens.com
Wed Apr 20 12:52:43 EDT 2011

Hello cmake users,

I'm wondering if someone can clarify the sequence commands of CMake external project for me.  For example, I have 2 external projects as below:

ExternalProject_Add(A
PREFIX A

INSTALL_COMMAND [copies includes files of A to some path]
)

ExternalProject_Add(B
PREFIX B
DEPENDS A

)

Project B's target cmake has some find_path commands to look for the includes of project A, which is not available until the INSTALL_COMMAND of project A.  The question is, is the INSTALL_COMMAND of A executed before the CONFIGURE step of B or after?  I'm seeing some confusing behavior of what the find_path finds and suspect the answer is 'after'.  Can anyone confirm if this is true, and if so what's a better solution?  I cannot run something ahead of the cmake either since the downloading of A includes is done in A's download step.

Thanks!