[CMake] Dependencies scanning for non-c/c++ files

Michael Hertling mhertling at online.de
Wed Apr 6 08:04:35 EDT 2011

On 04/05/2011 06:26 PM, Aaron_Wright at selinc.com wrote:

> There's a base class for the dependency scanners and several derived
> classes for C, java, fortan, etc. Would it not be easy to just derive
> another class for each file type I need? These dependency scanner classes
> seemed to just regex each line in the file looking for "include" or
> "import", or some other language specific keyword. That would work for me,
> I could just scan for "m4_include".

Probably, this is well feasible, but IMO, it would be really worthwhile
to - optionally - enable the usage of an external tool to do dependency
scanning, for new languages as well as for the premier ones like C/C++
in case one wants to overcome the built-in scanner's shortcomings while
accepting certain performance penalties. There has already been some
considerations and requests in this regard, e.g.:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cmake@cmake.org/msg30396.html (!)

Regards,

Michael