[CMake] Converting a large C++-Project to CMake

Benjamin King benjaminking at web.de
Sun Oct 31 08:48:14 EDT 2010

Hi Alan!

>> Our build is taking ages (almost a three hours on the fastest of our
>> servers) and it would be really painful if everybody needed to
>> rebuild everything for himself in the morning.
>
> Aren't you distributing your source code with some tool that preserves
> the creation dates of source files? I think all of svn, rsync, tar, or
> even cp -a do this.
Yes, we do use cvs and copy build trees with rsync -a/cp -a.

The problem is that because our builds take that long, nobody does a
global cvs update very often, but rather only on the parts he is working on.

It's user nightly that does an automated fresh checkout every night and
sees if everything is fitting together and passes the tests. That makes
it more attractive to copy the nightly build to continue your own work,
because there is some guarantee that it builds, passes the tests and
incorporated the stuff from the other teams.

Cheers,
   Benjamin