[CMake] Converting a large C++-Project to CMake

Benjamin King benjaminking at web.de
Sat Oct 30 07:54:23 EDT 2010

Hello,

I'm working on a ~1.5Mio LOC C++ project and our buildsystem is a
hodgepodge of handcrafted Makefiles, shell scripts and qmake projects.
I tried to convert a subset to CMake and it looks very promising so far.

One important part of our development workflow is this:
1) User 'nightly' builds versions of the project every night on several
development servers.
2) A developer is coming to the office in the morning, and
copies/hardlinks the nightly build to his home dir and probably patches
uncommited changes from yesterday into the newly copied build.

Our build is taking ages (almost a three hours on the fastest of our
servers) and it would be really painful if everybody needed to rebuild
everything for himself in the morning.

According to the FAQ, CMake does not support copying build trees around.
On the development servers, we have the special situation that all
external tools needed for the build are either in /usr/bin,
/usr/local/bin or /opt/local/ourstuff/build/bin. Would it be feasible to
copy a build tree in such a setting? Or could we copy everything, throw
the CmakeCache away, reconfigure and reuse the object files that already
were build?

Do you have any advice on this or other ideas? This is really a
make-or-break feature for us and I'd like to present some solution with
CMake for it.

Cheers,
   Benjamin