[CMake] cmake for cygwin

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) yselkowitz at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 26 14:09:06 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 08:15 -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> At the end of the day, CMake should be following the majority of the
> cygwin applications.  However, I really don't want to break the code of
> the people that have spent the time to get applications working on
> cygwin with CMake over the past 10 years.   That is what would happen if
> we suddenly changed CMake without warning.  The only applications that
> would break are the ones where people actually made an effort to port to
> cygwin using CMake.

Any package which is "ported" to Cygwin with the assumption that it is a
Win32 platform is already broken; not defining WIN32 would be the first
step to *properly* porting it to Cygwin.  Otherwise it would not be
affected.

> So, I think the only way to fix this is to create a new policy.   The
> policy will warn all cygwin builds that CMake is no longer defining
> WIN32 on cygwin.  As with all policies, if a project has the minimum
> required CMake set to the version of CMake that implements the policy
> the new behavior will happen.  I know this will not make Yaakov totally
> happy as CMake based applications will not work unless they bump up the
> version of CMake they require, but over time all will be well.

Unacceptable, as this still requires changing each package's sources in
order to set this policy to NEW.  The point is to be able to build
packages OOTB, today and not years from now.

Furthermore, allowing an option for how CMake should behave on Cygwin is
asking for trouble, given how many people have misconceptions about
Cygwin.

I'm trying to make this simple.  The remaining patch has been sitting in
bug 10122 for months, and this is what the Cygwin community wants.

Yaakov
Cygwin Ports