[CMake] cmake for cygwin

Marco Atzeri marco_atzeri at yahoo.it
Fri Oct 22 09:33:50 EDT 2010

--- Ven 22/10/10, David Cole  ha scritto:

>This depends on your perspective. Are you using cygwin to try
> to make a native Windows port of a Unix program, or are you
> simply trying to compile the Unix program as if it was still
> Unix (and thereby trap it in the cygwin environment)?

My perspective is very simple. I am a cygwin package maintainer.
So I expect that cmake on cywin builds cygwin programs, not something else.

When I want to compile mingw-programs, I use the
mingw64-i686-gcc cross compiler (cygwin to mingw)
not gcc ( cygwin to cygwin).

> We have been used to people saying they want to build native
> Windows apps with cygwin... and that's why it is the way it
> is. Perhaps there would be less cygwin-angst in the cmake
> world if we had adopted the opposite perspective, but that's
> the way it's been.

> If we change it now, it should be changed via a cmake policy
> so that it's easy to get both behaviors for a while...

if cmake don't change it useless for porting to cygwin.

And this is really blocking the port of a lot of packages.

I don't like to build my own version of cmake to overcome
the current setting of the cmake cygwin package.

Regards
Marco