[CMake] cmake for cygwin

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 05:25:50 EDT 2010

On 22. Oct, 2010, at 11:07 , Marco Atzeri wrote:

> Dear developers,
> the current cmake package for cygwin is unsuitable to build
> cmake package as it defines WIN32.
> Cygwin programs are unix-like ones while WIN32 is needed only
> for pure windows programs.
> Defining WIN32 breaks building normal unix programs.
>
> To build the last qhull package
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2010-09/msg00015.html
> I was obliged to use the cmake Ports version.
>
> http://cygwin-ports.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-ports/ports;a=tree;f=devel/cmake;hb=HEAD
>
> Using such package I was also able to build VTK, with very minor
> change of the source.
> http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtk-developers/2010-September/008590.html
>

> As the first target of a cygwin package is to allow to
> build other cygwin packages, the current package
> does NOT satisfy this requirement.
>
> Regards
> Marco

That's why one should check for CYGWIN in the CMakeLists.txt files. IMHO this is a user-error and not CMake's fault. The doc clearly states about the WIN32 variable:

       WIN32  True on windows systems, including win64.

              Set to true when the target system is Windows and on cygwin.

Michael

--
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem -- neat, plausible, and wrong.
H. L. Mencken