[CMake] Creating Debian source packages with CMake

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 09:45:51 EDT 2010

Retransmit on the ML.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com>
Date: 2010/10/20
Subject: Re: [CMake] Creating Debian source packages with CMake
To: Daniel Pfeifer <daniel at pfeifer-mail.de>

2010/10/20 Daniel Pfeifer <daniel at pfeifer-mail.de>:
> Hi,
>
> CPack, the packaging system that ships with CMake, builds
> component-based installers for Mac OS X and Windows only. On Linux, the
> packages generated by CPack are single, monolithic units.

Yes that's true.
The main reason was the fact that there were some (several) technical issues
for creating component that had to be addressed first.

Forthcoming CMake 2.8.3 has many improvment regarding component based packaging.
An example of application is the fact that now any CPack archive generator
(ZIP, TGZ, TBZ2, etc...) are able to generate one archive per component.

see this thread on the ML:
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2010-August/038663.html

> I hacked a CMake script that creates a single deb-src package, uploads
> it to the Launchpad build service where it generates one deb package for
> each component.

 cool!! I'll have a look at this.

> Read more at: http://purplekarrot.net/blog/dputCMake.html
> Use the script at your own risk, and please provide feedback.

May be you can open a new feature request in the bug tracker
(http://public.kitware.com/Bug/my_view_page.php)
which reference your work.

That way we may collaborate to make this contribution into mainstream CMake.

--
Erk
http://www.april.org

--