[CMake] Is there a tool pretty much like cmake for Java?

Jesper Eskilson jesper.eskilson at iar.se
Fri Oct 15 02:40:04 EDT 2010

On 10/14/2010 10:22 PM, Michał Czuczman wrote:

> I would be interested in improving Java support in CMake.  A source code
> parser which finds out names of generated output object files, as in the
> SCons Java support, is a must.  That's what the current Java support in
> CMake lacks the most.  I've searched through CMake source code and it
> looks like the object file name is always obtained just from the source
> file name.  Unfortunately this doesn't work for Java.  Would you please
> give me some more details on how do you see the module implemented?  Or
> some hints from where to start?  The most tricky part is how to handle
> changing dependencies.  Should the classes and jar be separate targets,
> as it is in SCons?

I like CMake a lot, but when it comes to Java, I just don't see the
benefits. For me, the strength of CMake is the ability to build C/C++ on
multiple platforms from a single specification. There is a plethora of
different build systems which are tailored to work well with Java. In
that world, I don't see what value CMake has.

I'm not going to argue against improving CMake support in Java, I'm just
curious.

--
/Jesper