[CMake] How to rename the resulting Makefile.

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 10:34:12 EDT 2010

2010/10/12 william.crocker at analog.com <william.crocker at analog.com>:
> Hello:
>
> I'm a newbie cmake user and would like to rename the makefile
> produced by running cmake.

As far as I know there is none.
But... may be you could do a out-of-source build
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#Out-of-source_build_trees
and avoid this problem alltogether?

> This is useful because:
>
> 1 - It provides a convenient way to slowly transition form
>    existing makefiles to the use of cmake.

Out-of-source solves this.

> 2 - I fill my makefiles full of all sorts of convenient
>    targets like the following and I do not want to have
>    to figure out how to do them in cmake.
>
>       grep :
>           @-for c in ${COMPONENTS} ; do \
>                echo "################ grep:" $$c; \
>                ( cd ./$$c; grep -i xyz *.h *.c *.cc ) ; \
>             done

Sooner or later you may have to do it, and it may not be as
difficult as you think.

> This is possible with Qt/qmake:
>    MAKEFILE = xyz.make
>
> Obviously I could issue an OS command to rename the
> makefile, but that is an extra step which would be forgotten,
> varies from OS to OS and would clobber my real makefile
> which is named Makefile.

May be you can rename your old "Makefile" as "Makefile.manual" ?

--
Erk
http://www.april.org